Botanical Embroidery Workshop With Meredith Woolnough
Discover the highly versatile machine embroidery processes that Meredith Woolnough uses to create her artworks. Explore the beauty of nature and create your
own embroidered sculpture inspired by botanical forms.
- Learn to use your sewing machine as an
- unconventional drawing tool with the freehand
- embroidery technique.
- Draw with stitch onto water-soluble fabric creating a range of experimental structures and networks
- Shape and mold your embroideries into various sculptural forms.
- Culminate the above techniques to design, stitch and build your own unique botanical creation. This sculpture may mimic a real plant specimen of your choice or be developed from your imagination.
Suited to all levels. No experience is necessary but basic sewing machine operation skills will be helpful.
Meredith Woolnough is an award winning visual artist that works and lives near the coastal region of Newcastle NSW. Her practice engages with the natural environment utilising the skeletal frameworks of flora and fauna as the basis of her own embroidered specimens. Threads are densely stitched into freeform sculptures that are carefully pinned to paper or set in resin preserving them as delicate handmade artefacts. Her work explores themes of the interconnectedness of living things and environmental degradation.
While our fibre art workshops are usually held in the gallery's historically significant workshop space, the workshop venue may change according to the needs and wishes of the artist tutor. Likewise, the times of the workshops may vary depending on the type of workshop and its presentation.
Timeless Textiles Gallery will, at its own discretion, where a participant is unable to attend a fibre art workshop, an exchange or credit note will be made available or a refund of the deposit or payment in accordance with the following Workshop Refund Policy.
Major commitments must be met, and in fairness to all, the policy concerning the refund is:
Cancellations 3 months prior to workshop date - refund 80% fees paid
Cancellations 2 months prior to workshop date- refund 50% fees paid.
Cancellations 1 month prior to workshop date- no refund.