MACHINE STITCH ODYSSEY with Cathy Jack Coupland
Are you making the most of your domestic sewing machine? Do you want to make beautiful fibre art or simply gain confidence exploring some of the creative options open to you?
Then this two-day stitch odyssey, uncovering some of the creative options using your domestic sewing machine is just for you.
Creating eye-catching stitch combinations along with stunning textures on your domestic sewing machine is not difficult.
Be gently guided – you won’t be alone – and be encouraged to experiment as that’s the best way to learn and learn what is right for you and your machine.
You’ll explore free machine work, bobbin work, the decorative stitches already programmed onto your machine, openwork, as well as stitching onto water solubles, machine made cords and more.
Create a resource-rich sampler, something you can relate back to time after time and continue to add to as new ideas come to you.
We’ll begin at the beginning – with threading, tools, needles and threads. Techniques will be demonstrated and samples available, as well as finished stitched works promoting the technique, where possible.
There’ll be my Bonus Tips along the way, as well as my Take it Further suggestions to enable self-directed learning and digging deeper into techniques at home.
Re-ignite your passion for creativity, using your beautiful sewing machine. It really is an amazing and never-ending journey.
TECHNIQUES: Free machine embroidery, working with Decorative stitches, bobbin work, openwork, working with multiple threads, stitching with solubles, stitching onto paper and simple tassel making.
Artist kit $15
- Sewing machine – oiled and serviced along with the machine manual
- Pen, journal or notebook, fabric marker or chalk pencil
- Thread stand
- Spare unwound bobbins – as many as you have
- Spare bobbin case so you can adjust the tension (if possible)
- Threads in a colour-way you love – rayon, polyester, thick, variegated, metallic or holographic threads if you have them. You’ll be using two threads through the needle so two spools of the same or similar colours would be great
- Thread to fill your bobbin. I use an inexpensive poly
- Pack of Topstitch 90/14 Titanium coated needles
- Embroidery foot and Darning/Free motion embroidery foot – please ensure you know what these look like, how to attach and change them and how to lower and raise the feed dogs on your machine – your manual should cover all of this
- Hand sewing needle
- Small sharp scissors
- Small hoop – a ring hoop is fine
- Camera or i-phone to take photos along the way
- There will be a kit supplied costing $15 which will contain:
- 1/2m acrylic felt, 1 ring for tassel, 1 embroidery floss for tassel, small amounts of ribbons, cords etc. to experiment with, painted watercolour paper vliesofixed to felt ready to stitch into, water soluble for beads and thread capture, 3 strands acrylic yarn to make cord, 25cm beading wire to stitch over, 2 small pieces of extra felt to test stitches and tension and thread off-cuts to use with soluble work
- Any queries please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
While our fibre art workshops are usually held in the gallery's historically significant workshop space, the workshop venue may change according to the needs and wishes of the artist tutor. Likewise, the times of the workshops may vary depending on the type of workshop and its presentation.
Timeless Textiles Gallery will, at its own discretion, where a participant is unable to attend a fibre art workshop, an exchange or credit note will be made available or a refund of the deposit or payment in accordance with the following Workshop Refund Policy.
Major commitments must be met, and in fairness to all, the policy concerning the refund is:
Cancellations 3 months prior to workshop date - refund 80% fees paid
Cancellations 2 months prior to workshop date- refund 50% fees paid.
Cancellations 1 month prior to workshop date- no refund.